A classic favorite around my house is hamburger and fries. (In fact, when I met my husband, I think he rotated between this and pizza nightly). I am a big fan of burgers and fries myself, and our whole household of five enjoys eating them. Being healthy does not mean having to give this meal up. Here is a healthy makeover of hamburger and fries.
To make this meal less about grease and more health conscious, I swapped out regular ground beef with 93 percent lean ground beef. The store also had 95 percent, but I figured that low a level of fat might be better suited to beef crumbles mixed into something. Feel free to try it, though, to save on some fat and calories.
I also decided against using ground turkey, although it would have cut 40 calories and 6 grams of fat. In my mind, the total calories and fat here is acceptable for dinner and not worth the trade on taste. It is an option, however, if you want to lighten this even more.
Healthy Hamburger and Fries Ingredients:
- One pound of 97 percent lean ground beef
- Four hamburger buns (go with the standard size, not large kaiser style buns, to avoid extra calories)
- Four potatoes
- Pam cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- Hamburger vegetable toppings as desired: lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, ketchup and mustard, for example. Avoid cheese and mayonnaise.
Healthy Hamburger and Fries Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and, if you wish, peel potatoes. Cut potatoes into French fry shapes.
- Toss potatoes into a large bowl, spray with Pam, add portion of salt you plan to use and toss to coat.
- Spray cooking sheet with Pam, then spread potatoes onto sheet and place into oven.
- Meanwhile, heat skillet and spray with Pam.
- Form the ground beef into four patties and place on skillet.
- Cook at medium heat, turning mid-way, until done to desired level.
- Remove fries from oven and sprinkle with salt.
- Place hamburgers onto buns.
- It can be fun to make a station with various toppings and let everyone choose what they want on their hamburgers.
- Serve and enjoy!
Healthy Hamburger and Fries Nutritional Information
This information assumes a plain hamburger with fries. If you add any toppings, be sure to take those into account. Some lettuce and a tomato probably won’t make much of a difference, but cheese or mayo will make a big difference.
Weight Watchers Points: 9