I’m heading to Florida next week for the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration, and I have a secret… I’ve never been to Disney World before. Like everyone else, I am making my packing lists and checking them twice, but I keep seeing tips and reminders from Disney World veterans about packing things I had never thought to put in my suitcase. Now I am making two lists – one for packing necessities and one for packing the things I didn’t even realize we would need. I want to make sure you’re prepared, as well, so I’m going to share my list!
1. Ponchos Last week, ponchos were mentioned. This Arizona girl was very confused about why one would pack a blanket with arm holes on a trip to Florida. Isn’t it hot there? I was the recipient of a few laughs when I was corrected. A rain poncho. Ok, got it. A rain poncho protects you from the rainstorms that pass through Orlando every afternoon.
2. Gum I am a gum chewer, and I was very interested to hear that gum isn’t sold on Disney World property. If you want gum, bring it yourself. And don’t forget to dispose of it properly – I’m guessing people spitting it on the streets is why it’s not sold on grounds.
3. A Spreadsheet To keep track of park hours, extra magic hours, “must see” attractions and “must ride” rides. Also flight information, hotel confirmation number and phone numbers are good to have on hand.
4. Snacks At the end of the day when you’re back at the hotel and so tired you can’t bare to get off the bed, you’ll be very thankful for the box of granola bars you thought to bring from home.
5. Sunscreen… and aloe Because sometimes Mommy misses a spot, keep some aloe in the fridge (we actually keep lotion with aloe in our fridge at home) at Disney World. Cool aloe makes sunburns feel much better.
6. Bug Repellant Living in Arizona, I can’t tell you when I last bought bug spray. Actually, I don’t think I have ever purchased bug spray because we don’t seem to have mosquitos or other insects that bite. From what I hear, Florida does. I’ve stocked up on two cans of repellant so we don’t come home with bug bites all over ourselves.
These six things are definitely going to be with us next week, but I never would have thought of them myself. I’m so thankful to be among people who have traveled to Disney World many, many times and have all of the right tips and tricks.
Tell me, what have you brought to Disney World that you wouldn’t want to travel without?
Photo © Vladimir Voronin – Fotolia.com