Coming up with an idea for a blog is a great start – but how do you determine if there are people interested in the topic? Where are they getting their information now? Will you have competitors? How do you compete? Conduct market research to find out.
Conducting Market Research and Competitive Analysis on Your Blog Idea
Christen Evans of Apogee talks with Rachel to share tips on market research, competition, and competitive analysis. Listen as she describes how to conduct market research on your blog idea. Find your competition and determine how to dominate your market and cooperate with your competitors for greater success.
Here’s what we cover in this interview:
- Christen’s blogging story, starting with BrokeAssBride.com, to her new blog at BourbonandSparkle.com as well as her role at affiliate program management agency, Apogee.
- When you should start thinking about researching the competition for your blog or blog idea
- How to identify a competitor through market research
- How to create your value proposition or competitive advantage
- How to work with competitors to land more sponsorships and work with more brands
- When and how to work with competitors to create content
- How you can stay up to date on your competition
- How to determine whether or not your competitors see you as competition
- What you can, should, and shouldn’t do with ideas, campaigns, and content you see your competitors creating
- How to stay competitive without losing “you”
- How stop watching the conversation happen from the outside, and begin to make yourself part of that conversation, and even drive it
- How attending blogging conferences can help you stay ahead of the competition and create relationships with brands, agencies, and solution providers
- Christen’s top 3 tips for anyone who is worried about starting their blog because they think there is too much competition (Spoiler alert: she says “DO IT!” Find out why and how in the video)
Join the Type-A Tribe for Access
This video is just one piece of the Ultimate Guide to the Business of Blogging course that is available to our Type-A Tribe members. Along with Christen’s informative session on market research, you’ll also get:
- The Ultimate Guide to the Business of Blogging: A full course that walks you through creating, growing, and monetizing your blogging business. It’s packed full of content now, and we add more every week to keep you in the loop on the latest trends and strategies.
- Webinars and Interviews – Each week, we bring in an expert to talk to you about issues that face your business. Videos are recorded so you can watch any time.
- Conference Recordings – Our Tribe members receive access to view the recordings of sessions from our blogging conferences.
- Private Facebook Group: Ask questions, share experiences, and join the conversation with other bloggers and the Type-A staff of experienced entrepreneurs and startup coaches.
- FTC Disclosure plugin – Get the Pro version of our FTC Disclosure Plugin for WordPress.
- Media Alerts – Setup your keywords and get access to the media queries (journalists, reporters, podcasters, and bloggers looking for people to interview and/or quote) that are a perfect fit for you.
Join now for just $2 for your first month ($9/month thereafter). Use coupon code: ITSJUST2DOLLARS when you join today.